Individual’s personal blog that will be useful for all those who want to keep in contact wherever I go / Blog personal de un individuo que será útil para todos aquellos que quieren tener contacto donde quiera que voy

22 jul 2011

And it happened what it had to happen

I tend to walk around in circles before I make a decision. Besides, when technology and communication is on the table, I am very likely to become an addict to something if I like it. I am a bit reluctant at first and that's why it took me a while to have my first cell-phone, or to open an e-mail account, or buy a laptop, a digital camera, an mp3 player, which I changed later for an 80Gb iPod, or to live in a house with an internet connection, or to write this blog or start to use Linux. All these things are essential for me today, basic, I would almost say vital. And the day will arrive when I buy a smartphone, you will see...

At a certain point I tried Facebook. Yes, I did it! It was 4 years ago, in mid 2007, when it was much less known and popular than now. I tried it a bit, not much, but I didn't like it despite my friend Nico insisting on it -he introduced me to it. I intended to try Myspace to keep updated "automatically" with my favourite bands' tours and gigs (I found that useful), but I never got to do it. I thought that Facebook would do the work but it didn't satisfy my expectations neither privacy nor service-wise. I didn't find the system attractive and I was not convinced. Some months later I saw the massive amount of people who could not live any more without that social network so good to keep contacts and I was so happy to have left it before it was too late (before it became another addiction).

Every visitor of this blog knows that I am a person who likes keeping contact, so I am again trying now a new social network which is still in it's nappies. I am talking about Google+ and this post is free advertising although there is some interest on my side. In spite of me not liking much too big companies with too much power, I think I have a weakness for this monster since I knew it in early 1999, a few months after its foundation (except for the browser Chrome, which I have not yet tried and I won't do it unless Mozilla stops releasing new Firefox versions). I still remember how someone discovered it to me and how I used to explain other people what it was and how to optimise the searches. I think that Google has invented little actually, although it has definitely improved many things that already existed, either launching their own product (Gmail, Google Translator, Chrome itself) or purchasing another already existing (Youtube, Blogger, Google Earth).

So after listening the comments and comparisons of my colleague Carlos, who is on Facebook and started using Google+, I decided to try this network. And the outcome is that I am already an addict. The truth is that there are not yet many people, but I like using this new service and I see many more advantages than drawbacks. I guess that games and groups and other unnecessary (yet funny) things will start appearing soon in order to keep people surfing for longer... or not -because Google+ seems not to be Facebook. For its basic function though, the one it has now and I am using, it fits me very well. I find the lack of requests to send/accept, the controlled posting of the information, visible only for the groups of contacts that you decide organised in circles (either 2 or 2000 contacts organised in 2 or 2000 circles), as well as the clear sight of its graphical interface, very useful features which lacks its rival to beat: Facebook.

No hay comentarios: