Individual’s personal blog that will be useful for all those who want to keep in contact wherever I go / Blog personal de un individuo que será útil para todos aquellos que quieren tener contacto donde quiera que voy

13 feb 2013

Sees Europe here, there Asia lies

"Whilst singing gaily on the poop
The pirate Captain, in a group,
Sees Europe here, there Asia lies,
And Stamboul in the front arise."

That's part of a Spanish poem titled "Song of the pirate" from the 19th century about the life of a pirate, whose objective is freedom. You can read here the whole poem in English. Those lines came to my mind last Friday, when I was on top of the Galata Tower in Istanbul. The panoramic views of both sides of the city as well as the Bosphorus are stunning from up there... This year, I decided to do something different for my birthday. Or maybe I should say just that I decided to do something, as the last few years I remained quiet, working like on a normal day and later at home, as far as I remember. This year I went to Istanbul for four whole days as part of my plans to visit some new places instead of going always to the same ones as I mostly did in 2012.

It had been long time since I wanted to visit this city and it hasn't disappointed me at all. I got some sort of Stendhal syndrome when on the first day I visited in a row the Topkapi palace, Saint Sophia, the Blue Mosque and the Basilica Cistern. I couldn't wait any longer to visit especially the first three and it was the very first thing in the morning on the very first day. I got some sort of Stendhal syndrome and I could not stop marvelling at everything: from the small details to the massive domes.

I have had time for more, a lot more. I have walked for hours and hours, taking all the small streets and alleys. That's the way I really like visiting cities. Besides, I had a really bad map, what makes things so much funnier. I have run up and down the halls of the Grand Bazaar, something that I loved. However, I found more impressive the smaller Egyptian or Spices Bazaar. Prices were better there too. I have eaten excellent food, warm and cold, appetisers and desserts, main courses too, sweet and salty, spicy... mouth watering. I have been out partying until 4am, dancing, drinking, talking to people, enjoying the music and having a lot of fun at the club. I have relaxed in a hammam, taking Turkish baths, getting a massage by a handsome guy, enjoying these oriental luxuries.

I have got a very good impression of Istanbul. It is a good combination of modern and old city. I have found locals very friendly and helpful, very westernised, with not many differences of what you could find in other European Mediterranean countries. The fact that I visited the city in the way I like the most has also greatly contributed to the enjoyment: alone, with my music, no plans, at my own pace, free... Like the pirate of the song.

No hay comentarios: