Individual’s personal blog that will be useful for all those who want to keep in contact wherever I go / Blog personal de un individuo que será útil para todos aquellos que quieren tener contacto donde quiera que voy

8 feb 2009

Redundant? Not yet

We thought that by the end of January we would know who is made redundant in the company. But the end of January arrived, it was here, passed through and we don't know yet anything. Well, we do know something: we won't know anything else until mid March. The annoying situation prolongs and it may prolong even longer because this is the second time they postpone the date. It's a shitty situation because I can not even make plans for the short term if I don't know whether I will have a job next month and we've been like this since early December. Well, I'll tell you something as soon as I know something myself.

As for the rest, there is little to tell. I don't go out very often neither parties nor dinners or drinks. Sometimes some of my housemates' friends come and I have fun having some drinks and laughters with them here at home. Other times they come and they annoy me because I would like to have my peaceful house for me and without racket. I never make plans because I don't know what the mood will be when the moment arrives. I refuse to say that I'll be coming to a party because later I may don't feel like going or vice-versa. So I'm basically "following my instincts" each time I have to make a decision. But don't worry because I eat and sleep well.

The general stagnation extends to the job as well. Two weeks ago I spent some days in Sevenoaks, Kent. I went to work to the manor of Knole, where the same family has been living since the early XVIIth century. It's a very beautiful place but that wek was bloody cold and I got quiet bored. Last week I was back in Oxford and I have started to work from home. Yep, from home. I connect to the company's servers through the internet and I have access to the same data as if I was there so, once I had my manager's consent, I tried it and I like it.

I am tired of going to the office and seeing people everyday. When I work from home I can wake up later and work at my own pace, doing more in the evening as it is when I best perform. To have a break I do the shopping, do the laundry, go out to have a coffee... But I don't work from home everyday because I would become crazy here closed between these four walls. From now on, and as long as the work allows me to do it, I'll combine days in and days out, as I think it is the best option. It will depend on my mood.

And so arrives tomorrow, Monday 9th of February: my 28th birthday. I hope to have an average day because nobody knows here that it's my birthday apart from me. Well, Marta knows and she probably will remind it to Nick and Javier (the three Spaniards I met in the company) but I don't mind them knowing it and texting or phoning me in the morning to wish a happy birthday. As for the rest, I prefer to have a quiet day. Never in the last 10 years I have felt enthusiastic about this day and I suspect that tomorrow will be the best 9th of February I have had so far. Well, presents will be accepted, uh? Mate, I find impolite reject them if people insist...

No hay comentarios: