Individual’s personal blog that will be useful for all those who want to keep in contact wherever I go / Blog personal de un individuo que será útil para todos aquellos que quieren tener contacto donde quiera que voy

13 mar 2009

Raf. Rat.

Yesterday, March 12th 2009, it was my second anniversary in the company. Yesterday, I volunteered for redundancy. It's not the same as quitting and I think it is the most convenient thing to do. I see myself with possibilities to be redundant anyway (33% in theory, more in reality I think) and by volunteering at least I get some more money. It won't save me from finding another job asap but at least I'll be able to breath some more days. They might not accept it although I can't see why they wouldn't. I have the feeling that if they do it, it is only because making someone else redundant is just cheaper and that doesn't make me feel valuable. On the contrary: we want you to stay because you worth little and you're cheap. I don't know if I'd accept that. Besides, it doesn't guarantee me that I won't be redundant in two months and then I wouldn't get the dough but an idiot's face.

The good thing about this is that at least I take the control again. Although I don't know what I want it for because I was very happy so far letting others guide me. But thinking that my near future depended on others' decision made me feel uncomfortable. So I prefer to grab the bull by the horns and be me who decides how and when I leave without waiting for others to open their mouths. At least I'm on the steering wheel now. I don't know where I'm going but I'm on the steering wheel.
This is exciting on the one hand. Scary on the other.

The options are plenty but very little realistic and elaborated. I don't like to make decisions without thinking them thoroughly before. I forget about searching a job related to buildings, that's for sure. I think that Oxford is a very expensive town to look for another normal job as a waiter or washing floors. I'm at ease here now either in the house, the area where I live, my friends... But it is too expensive and I think that I shouldn't keep living here only to serve coffees. If I leave Oxford, I can go somewhere else cheaper to serve coffees or maybe search for something that I like more but I need time for that and I don't have it. Besides, what should I do first? Look for a good place and then any job there or look for a good job no matter where the place? I tell you, this needs time. I don't rule out the idea of searching for a voluntary job: services or manpower in exchange for food and accommodation. That would be easier in second and third world countries but I see it difficult here and my priority is to stay in the UK. The masters I'd like to study is very far too. First because as it is logical many people will have applied for it so the places are probably full (people applies usually before January). Second because I want to do it but not yet. I'd like to wait for another year so do it because "I have nothing better to do" it's not the best of the motivations I think... And of course I would not yet like to go back to Spain. I am hungry and I want more world. There is an opinion poll in the column on the right. Let's see what people think (vote!).

They say that the rats are the first ones to jump out of the ship when this is sinking. Mind you, I already jumped.

5 comentarios:

Anónimo dijo...

Hey mi amigo!
I can't think to be able of suggesting you anything and, if I'd have to, I can't do it with a poll. What I tell you he's what you've already decided(I mean volunteering for redundancy) it's surely a brave decision but probably right! It's much better if you try to keep the things under your control and not just being pushed passively by events.
I don't know how I could vote but, even if I'm sure you've made your brain exploding about it, take the right time to decide what to do. Maybe, if you can, go back Spain for a little break-holiday, maybe it would clean a little bit your thoughts.

Ti abbraccio,
Luca

Rafael MJ dijo...

Ciao Luca, caro amico. Thanks for the comment. Yes, I think it was a brave decision to make but I am happy to have made it wherever it may lead me from now on. Vote for Spain then, it is an option which would be always good. Going back home would help me to think about new things in a totally safe environment indeed. We'll see where I end up in the next few weeks... Hugs.

lucab dijo...

I've voted for Spain...it doesn't mean I suggest you to go back Spain forever, I know it's not this the case you'd like going back your country. I just mean that maybe some time spent back "home" could help you to decide what to do.
Probably I would behave like this at least.
Let me know where I'll be able to find you!
Hope see you soon,
Lu

Anónimo dijo...

You wrote: "the rats are the first ones to jump out of the ship when this is sinking. Mind you, I already jumped."

Rafa, if you had not jumped, the company would have made you jump sooner or later since things in archaeology in this country are getting from bad to worse. So, your decision does not make you a 'rat' at all.

Companies don't show emotions when they fire people, or when they reject our job applications without a single note of explanation, so why should the employees be emotional? You must do what is the best for you.

I'd say volunteer work is a very good solution because you keep your CV looking good, but I don't see any volunteer jobs in archaeology in the UK. Maybe stay and work in a cafe in Oxford for a couple of months until you decide what you wanna do. Then, you may decide to go back to Spain for a while, if you find an archaeology job there, and return in the UK when things get better. Also look at the BAJR and Past Horizons site, where they show volunteer opportunities in excavations in other countries, since you want to see more of the world. Good luck!!

Rafael MJ dijo...

Thanks for your comment dear unknown visitor :)

I agree with you and I am not specially emotional about the company. That was ok, it was a business: you need my skills, I need your money, we agree with a contract, I know that if there is not work to do then there is no job, you run out of work, I run out of job. That's the rule. I'm not hurt.

But I am sorry to leave the people I have met there. Really nice guys. Actually most of my friends and people who have made me feel comfortable in this country. The reason why I have stayed. And I am sorry to leave them not for the economical situation but for the daily human relation.

Your suggestion sounds certainly good but the decision is actually already made. I will wait a bit longer to see how things develop in the next few days though. I did know about BAJR but not about Past Horizons :) Thank you very much for your contribution!