Individual’s personal blog that will be useful for all those who want to keep in contact wherever I go / Blog personal de un individuo que será útil para todos aquellos que quieren tener contacto donde quiera que voy

30 sept 2007

Re-meetings, meetings and intrameetings

Some important changes have happened during the last week. They don't improve or make anything get worse, just make things be different from now. After a few weeks feeling down and a bit nervous due to the work interview, I'm feeling better now. I don't enjoy much the life but I'm calmer, balanced again and thinking about how to manage with the next months.

First of all, I've met again some people and places. It's not a big deal, but I'm again on the site where I had been working for long time. The works were cancelled two months ago when it got flooded and I've been working in the office since then, where I was very happy (except for some few days when I went to a very small site). The work I was doing in the office was something temporary, so it was very easy and simple too. A lot of people would find it boring because most of the archaeologist chose this job as vocational, interesting... But now it's just a source of income for me, and the easier and the more comfortable is the task to do, the better for me. I don't mind to spend weeks scanning plans, marking slides and entering data to the computer: this keeps me dry, warm, relaxed and it allows me to do my own schedule, so I prefer to do it. I like less the field work because it takes me longer (we have to complete the working day on site, so we spend an extra hour every day to go and come back), I got tired and now is when it's starting to get cold and rainy. When I'm working in the office I finish earlier and I can go for a walk, do some shopping, go to the bank or whatever. But after working on site I have to run to shower, change my clothes and have a rest (and this isn't Spain, you can't go out later, everything is closed and every body's at home at 7 o'clock in the evening). I've got used to a very comfortable life style and now is annoying to be back to the one before, although before I was happy with what I had so I have no choice but to get used again and wait for the buildings department to "get me out of there" in order to do some work with them... Otherwise, I think I'll spend a lot of months digging again. As a "novelty", I've bought a little radio which will help me to get along with the working hours and to improve my understanding of the spoken english language because that's the hardest for me.

Well, but being back on site also meant to meet again with either the site (actually a nice place despite of the work) and some of my former workmates. Most of them had left, for different reasons, but Jane, Javier and Steve are again there and that's good because they're nice. I've had another re-meeting, through the telephone. Chao and Vanessa (my former housemates and landlord/lady) phoned me. I haven't seen them for a long time and I hope we can meet this week and arrange some appointment for dinner or have some drink; I'm keen to meet them.

Also this week I have met some new people. New archaeologist have recently joined the site, even the company, and we'll see how we work as a team. But the most important for me is that we have a new housemate at home. Dan, Xavier's oldest son, have left to another city's university, so his room was available. Some extra money is always welcome so a new lodger's arrived and he'll stay with us for a month. He's nice, well educated, smart... and from Catalonia. But the funniest thing is that he's from the Wolfson College, a place where I've been a couple of times in some parties meeting great people. So, he's very good friend of some of the people I met there, including of course Lars and Nico. Unfortunately, any of them is in Oxford now but they'll be back soon and we'll meet all together to have some drinks and laughs. Nice coincidence.

No hay comentarios: