Individual’s personal blog that will be useful for all those who want to keep in contact wherever I go / Blog personal de un individuo que será útil para todos aquellos que quieren tener contacto donde quiera que voy

14 sept 2009

From north to south

Since the project in Bahrain was confirmed, I've been travelling a bit. Partly for pleasure and partly for 'business'. As I don't know if I will be coming back to Manchester, not even to the north-west, after coming back from the Persian Gulf, I didn't want to leave without visiting some places. Besides, I have had to go to Oxford for some project matters so I took advantage of it to spend few days and meet people there. I also hope to visit another couple of places before I leave. I take it as a small holidays to switch after those months of inactivity and put my head in the Middle East. I will be quite busy the two weeks I will still be here. I've got plenty of things to prepare: shopping, suitcase, things to leave here, read something about Bahrain, learn some words in Arabic, get ready the small laptop with everything I will need there (mainly applications but also plenty of music and films -the big laptop will remain here), etc. Oh well, I have to focus on this a bit because the last week and a half I've spent quite longer everywhere else but in Manchester.

On Wednesday 3rd I went to Leeds. I found a really cheap offer for £4 return by bus and I didn't think twice. Besides, I've got an acquaintance there whom I wanted to visit and he was happy to show me the city (you know, it is always better with a local). We walked mainly in the city centre and I found it quite beautiful and nice. It was comfortable to move around although it was a bit hilly and I like the cities as flat as possible. I found it modern and beautiful, maybe a bit like a mix of Oxford (with kind of monumental buildings) and Manchester (with modern buildings made of glass and others with an industrial touch). I wouldn't mind to live and work there, besides I saw an area that reminded me of my dear Cowley road in Oxford, where I've lived quite a long time.

On Friday 5th I went to Glasgow, capital city of Scotland, to spend the weekend and to visit a friend. I had never been to Scotland and I had never been that far north in my life either. I arrived early in the morning and I first explored a bit the city on my own. I visited the cathedral and the city centre, commercial streets, George Square, the Gallery Of Modern Art... I met my friend later and I visited less touristy and/or central places during the weekend. I went to the Burrell Collection and I found it was a good museum in terms of exhibition and the building itself (I am quite fussy with museums in general) except for the leaks... We also went to the People's Palace and The Barras market among other places. I really liked Glasgow a lot in general and I expected something much worse. The city is big and modern, the centre is easy to walk and beautiful, the people was very nice and I found it cheap. If I have to find drawbacks, I'd say that the accent is really difficult to understand (but not impossible with a bit of patience), it is quite far from everything (except Edinburgh) and in winter has very few hours of sunlight. Anyway, I think I wouldn't mind to live and work there either.

Last Wednesday, 09/09/09, I went to Oxford because I had a meeting with the project manager, the first visit since I left. I stayed 3 nights in my former house and so I could meet my dearest ex-housemates, who hosted me very well. It was great to be there again. I also could meet some friends and ex-colleagues (including my students of Spanish) but I regret to not have met Nico, my best friend in Oxford. He had to come to Liverpool and Manchester exactly the same days I was there...

And I went to London on Saturday morning to spend the weekend and meet more people. It was quite quiet, without special visits. We went to a small festival in front of the Big-Ben tower (which by the way, it is the name of the bell inside the clock, not the name of the tower!) and on Sunday evening there was a Pride Party in Soho, so I can already say I've been to one. I didn't feel prouder, but uglier as expected hahaha. It wasn't awesome either, we were just a couple of hours or three having a drink. Apart from the speakers on the streets playing loud music, I don't think that is very different to a normal Saturday with good weather when people go to drink on the street. Well, there was some 'party atmosphere' but nothing spectacular. Anyway, it was already Sunday evening of course... After the short walk in Soho (I carried the backpack and the laptop) I took the train back to Manchester.

I've got quite a lot of things to do in the next two weeks. You have to add to the list above that I want to go back to Chester, which I already visited but I quite liked it. I also want to meet a friend who is now living in Liverpool (so I visit it, of course). Then, this Saturday a friend is coming to visit Manchester; it's my turn to be the host. And my friend from Liverpool will probably come on Sunday, so we swap visits. If I am very busy and nothing extraordinary happens these days, the next entry may well be already from the Persian Gulf! I have no clue about how easy or difficult it will be to connect to the internet from there so please be patient. I'll do as much as I can. In theory, I am leaving on September 26th and come back on November 21st or 22nd. You know where to come to know more details!

No hay comentarios: